Tuesday, January 12, 2010

red velvet cupcakes

So, today I had coffee with a friend, whom I haven't seen for over a year. We sat there with our coffee, bagels and red velvet cupcake and talked about the goodness of God. It was so refreshing to hear life come out of someone's mouth. With her words, she shook me and woke me up on the inside. She made realize that I need to shape up and be prepared for what God has in store for my life or else I'll miss it; everything. And she did it in such a loving way, I wanted to break down and cry!

As she continued talking, I began to realize certain things in my life that are a pile of junk. I realized that I need to be purged. I need to be restored. I need Jesus.

I've been very complacent and dry for the past 6 months in my walk with God and because of that my life has been dry. My finances, my family, my thoughts, my mind. I'm tired of that. I'm tired of being the Christian who only lives up to the hype and not the truth. I'm tired of being the woman of God who really is a woman of her own flesh. I've put God on the shelf and grown stable in my circumstances; believing that my circumstances are what my life is supposed to be built on. I've grown tired.

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest--and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man." -Proverbs 6:10-11

Here I am engaging in a little sleep and a little slumber making my walk with God second priority. I've made God my second choice, after my problems. I've put Him after my circumstances. I made Him the latter choice to my sleep, and now my heart sits empty.

But God, with all His grace and mercy, He still loves me :)

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-30: 28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

And there, in a small coffee shop, I began to let God's grace and rest cover me. It was like a little revival taking place in my heart. It was like I got saved all over again.

Then I went back to eating my red velvet cupcake and enjoyed the rest of our conversation.
God is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment