Tuesday, July 26, 2011

i love me some winehouse

On Saturday morning, my room door flew open and my mother, at 7am, said very loudly, "Che'! Amy Winehouse died!!" You can bet your bottom dollar I cried. Even while half dreaming and with one eye open, I cried. Then I realized I had three text messages from friends asking me if I heard the news; a few years back, my friends riding in my little Honda was graced with the sounds of Miss Winehouse.

I love Amy Winehouse. She is one of my favorite artists; both of her albums Frank and Back to Black are on my top 10 list. I love her talent and her heartbreaking and soulful lyrics that accompanied her 1960's taste. I knew all the words to every song and in some way, I connected to the inner breaking she went through. Of course, not in the same way or same degree, but as heartbreaking as her words were she always sang with a breath of hope.

Since Saturday, I've watched the news and read articles regarding her death and I listen to what every critic has to say about her life. But regardless of her turmoil that the world always saw her in, no one truly knows exactly what she went through. Some of us may understand, only because we all go through stuff in life, but in the end she was someone's daughter, someone's sister and friend. So, instead of talking about her issues I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite songs from her. After all, her talent beams.

If you've never listened to her or have, take some time out to listen to her words...

Love is a Losing Game

Stronger Than Me

Take the Box

He Can Only Hold Her (my favorite set of lyrics)


Cherish life lovelies!

3 comments:

  1. she seems to get a lot of hate, but i've always liked her & her music style. so sad when I found out about her death :(

    just found your blog from FTLOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never really knew how talented she was. I had only her the rehab song but these are very beautiful and blues feeling! I loved these. However, listening to them and seeing her only makes her death that much more sad.

    Sad how even people who have so much get lost in this world and turn to drugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE Amy Winehouse. Everything about her music & lyrics is raw, honest and filled with so much emotion. While I'm not necessarily surprised by her death, I am saddened that she never got a chance to get it together and make more music for us to hear.

    ReplyDelete