Wednesday, February 8, 2012

italy part one // venice at night

After a five hour flight from Kaua'i to LA then a one hour flight to San Francisco and a very long 11-hour flight to Frankfurt, Germany AND an unexpected over night stay at the Steigenberger (the only German I know) Airport Hotel - which was a great hotel, by the way - in Germany, we finally made it to Italy. We decided to stop in Venice before we went to Rome. Our hotel was in a little town called Mestre and was right across of the train station. It took about 8 minutes to get to Venice. Oh, and we stayed in a Best Western which was a blessing - they had two channels with American movies! Glory! So when we were up in the wee hours of the morning while the rest of Italy was sleeping, we watched 10 Things I Hate About You, Easy A, Sahara, Burlesque and I, Robot. 
Okay, enough about movies. Venice was absolutely beautiful! On our first day there we figured it would be nice to see a part of Venice during the nighttime and it sure was stunning. We walked a short distance and in places that were heavily populated; we were big on safety! I was absolutely blown away by the beauty of everything: the lights, the architecture, the grand canal, the people, the outdoor restaurants, the vendors and even the knock-off Prada wallets. Everything had it's own beauty.
 The temperatures were in the low 30's and my face was frozen. Of course I was dressed properly, but my body was definitely not prepared for that kind of weather. I do come from sunny winters and beachy weather, so even if my cheeks were red, I enjoyed trying to "brave" the cold. On our way back to the train station we bought Prosciutto sandwiches and Coca-cola and feasted back at the hotel. Of course we watched a movie while we ate like vultures. 

If you do visit Venice, I totally recommend you stay at the hotel we stayed at. It's convenient and is located across the train station. Click here for more info on Hotel Bologna (a Best Western). The hotel was beautiful and was enriched with history, like all the other buildings that surround.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I have been anxiously awaiting your Italy recaps! What beautiful photos! Italy is on our list of the next 5 places to visit, so hopefully we will make it out there sooner than later.

    Yikes. 30 degree weather sounds painful. We are so spoiled with warm temps, it's almost hard to believe that 30-degrees is "normal" to others this time of year!

    Can't wait for your next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soo pretty... soo jealous thats on my list for travel next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will recommend it to my friends who are interested in this. Thanks for the information! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete