Tuesday, May 1, 2012

there is a tide in the affairs of men

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures."
-Brutus | William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

I heard this quote a few weeks ago in an episode of One Tree Hill (I think it may have been from the very first episode) and it resonated deep in my heart. It rang and rang and pulled on my heartstrings until I finally sat down and quietly pondered on it's meaning. It's clear Brutus is talking about opportunity and taking every single part of life - good, bad and ugly - and making something great out of it; taking negativity and turning it into something positive. Or taking the extra step of faith out of the boat when the waters get rough.


As I sat pondering on this saying and letting it sink deep in my bones, I asked myself if I was doing this? Am I taking every opportunity to do something great with my life? Am I looking at present situations and letting it affect me causing me to shrink back and forget the bigger picture? I love where it says: "On such a full sea are we now afloat..." because it reminds me of how full life is and how much opportunity comes my way and I simply miss it. 



"And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures."

I don't want to lose my ventures,
I don't want to miss out on years of happiness and fullness 
because I didn't get out of the boat.
I want to take my opportunities in every - good or bad - season.
I want to learn.
I want to live.

Don't miss it.

 photo credits: weheartit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment