Saturday, October 11, 2014

why i write


Many people in my little world have asked me "why do you write?" I never really knew how to directly answer that question without sounding so... into myself. It made me really think about why I write and while I was catching up with my friend Roo the other night, she said something to me and in a tiny moment it all came together. It's like all of the puzzle pieces fit together and was complete and whole. Roo said, "when I felt like I couldn't make it, I would scroll through your Instagram and read all of the little captions you wrote. It made me feel like I could make it."

Thunderclap.

When she said that - and I say this with all humility in the world - I couldn't help but smile and feel accomplished. I quietly thanked God and whispered "this is why I write."

I write because I want to share my hurts, my pain, my good days, all of my stories so that someone - even if it's just one person - will know that it's okay to be hurt, it's okay to be confused about what's next in life and it really is going to be okay even if you screwed up. When I write I pull from every experience I've had. I take bits and pieces and I lay it out. Whether it be a two sentence caption on social media or a short-story type blog post, I dig deep and work with whatever emotion I have at that moment. Most times, it's so personal I can't handle the vulnerability and I kind of have to process all my thoughts, feelings and emotions in that moment and figure out where I want to channel them.

There are some pieces that I write that stay in a vault and never surface. Mostly because it was kind of raw, a little too honest and I'm not quite ready to share it. Sometimes, my grammar is horrible and I'm in need of a tutor. No, really.

My best writing happens when the house is quiet and it's after 10pm. Or when I'm at work and no one is there. Or when I'm driving and I hear a classic by Fleetwood Mac. Whatever and wherever it may be, I write because I have a story to tell. I hope that story continues to travel to the people who need to hear it the most.

This is why I write.


No comments:

Post a Comment